Moulding plane Build Update

It’s been a while since I last worked on this build, I’ve had a week off work due to being sick and even though my body ached and my head throbbed it wasn’t enough to keep me out of my workshop, but enough to keep me out of my crappy, schizer of a job.

I went back to my original No.16, if you remember when I started on this build I screwed up the mouth by opening it too much.  Plus Lie Nielson advertised on their site that they had the 1 1/4″ iron but it turned out to that they never did.  It’s a mystery still to this day how it got on their site at all.  So I bought some O1 flat bars from the states because I couldn’t find any in Australia to be at 1/8″  Of course I paid through my backside after all the conversion and shipping was done and yes I will do it again and again and again or atleast until Australia has it which will probably be never.

I’ve completed the build today but I still need to shape the iron, heat treat it, sharpen it and give it a test run.   I’m basing my planes on 18th Century moulding planes, my designs are directly from Larry Williams, the same designs that Matt Bickford uses on his planes.  I’ve never built a moulding plane in my life, in fact I’ve never built any plane besides the small router plane before either.  So this was a huge learning curve and adventure for me.  I’ve watched Larry William’s dvd on side escapements countless times and I’m still watching it over and over again.  You’ll be amazed at how much information you’ve missed when you watch it several times.  Your minds starts to wander and your not really concentrating but the dvd continues to play.  So I just kept rewinding it and watched over and over again until I got it.

That mouth opening will bother me till the day of judgement and beyond, but I will learn to live with it because it’s actually not entirely my fault.  Sure I cut it but I blame it on my ignorance at the time.  Sure enough I think I pretty much nailed and once I get the iron done and she performs as I expect she will I’ll be starting on the No.15 and work my way down.

I’ll be the first to admit that it isn’t easy,  it’s slow, pedantic and there was a lot of “how the hell do you work this part out.”  In the end I achieved what I set out to do but I know there will be even more frustrating part as I work down to the itty little bitty ones.

If you’re going to tackle these planes I would highly recommend you practice on some structural cheap pine.  A lot will end up just piling on your bench but you’ll save alot frustration and money in the long run.  Also I thought this French method would be easier but now I’m of the opinion that it’s not, as it has its own quirks.  Setting the Veritas Rabbet plane is difficult, insanely difficult, so planing a rabbet with it is no walk in the park.  For me that was the most frustrating part and I will without a doubt build myself various sized rabbet planes.  Also creating a fillet that you see on the toe and heel of the plane to look crisp and right is also difficult.  Shaping the sole isn’t as hard as I thought it would be but I practiced on some scrap a couple of times to get it right.  When you do decide to make a set always start off with the round and then use that to make your hollow.

I am really holding off from revealing detailed information on how to build these planes because I would like to reserve that for the magazine.  Yes the magazine will be released by the end of this month.  I’m only waiting for one more author to complete his article and as soon as that’s done there are over 60 pages of reading materials to go through.  For now I better get back to finishing off this iron. Another new challenge, how do I shape it without having an assortment of files.

_DSC1543_DSC1546_DSC1547_DSC1548_DSC1549

One last thing to mention, I started this build last summer.  The glue I used is not surprising to anyone is OBG Liquid Hide and look at it, it’s holding together even through the hot,  extremely humid months.  Our summers in my state lasts for three months and they get unbearably hot, sometimes too hot to work.  Hide glue has held on, so why it doesn’t work for some people bewilders me, even the fish glue I used on scrap and left it in the laundry is still holding strong I still haven’t thrown it away.   So there you have it in a nutshell._DSC1544

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s